Monday, January 01, 2007

So now we start again…..

January always brings me mixed feelings. On the upside it is a time for new beginnings. New Year’s resolutions, diets, exercise, getting organized are all high on the agenda. But to me the start of the New Year always brings anxiety. As a trader in a large international bank it is the start of January which knocks the “score card” back to Zero. You have to go out and prove yourself all over again. In recent years this process has become easier. Maybe because I have done it for the past 15-20 years, maybe because I have become more comfortable in my surroundings (work environment) or maybe because I have a bit more balance in my life. You see January is also the start of baseball training for my youngest son. After his fall baseball season ends (mid October) I strongly discourage him from picking up a baseball or bat until January. I have always encouraged this “break” from the game as I think that as a pre teen (he is now 11) it is very important to have varying interest. Clearly my youngest son centers most of his attention on sports (American football and basketball are his two other favorite sports), but chess and lots of board games are also a major part of his “off season”. He has an older brother who certainly does not share this love of sport but I do practice the same approach with him. At the beginning of the school year I would only allow him to sign up for two honors classes (he made 3 of the 4 that were offered) as I felt that three would put to much pressure on him (he is 13) and would not allow him to participate and enjoy his other interests (Drama and recreational tennis). I certainly believe that education is very important, but I also feel that school years are a time to explore and enjoy. I was never a very good student (C to B at best), but I always felt I had a lot of common sense and I worked hard. It has paid off. I have a good job that I enjoy, but it has taken me many years to learn to enjoy “the ride”. I think I have only learned this from my sons. Trying to get them (without the lecture, I am very good at the lecture) to have fun everyday. This in turn has helped me do the same. I cannot tell you how many days I have taken off to watch an 11year olds baseball game. Or an afternoon watching a 6th grade spelling bee (you can not imagine how exciting a spelling bee is until your son is a part of one….and Win’s it!). It is just an amazing feeling. I have found that after these days off, when I go back to the office, amazingly it is still there, the same people, politics and problems. I also have learned that I am usually a lot fresher, capable of seeing things from a slightly more neutral view after a day or so off. So although it is easier said then done I try to enjoy life around me everyday. As Lord Byron (poet) said “Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine”.


Good Luck and Good Trading……Happy New Year!


FXTRADINGIDEAS@AOL.COM

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Banker,

Who are you and what have you done with Banker (quoting Byron?)!

I am trying to enjoy the ride too.

J

8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder about what really counts in life!

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home